I went to enrichment tonight. I taught a class on cleaning green...hee hee. I think it was funny I got asked, because I am not very green myself. Anyway, in preparation for tonight, I found myself walking the aisles in Whole Foods.
I like that store. It's cool. I kept thinking, "I could be this person. I could be more earthy, more granola...less sugar, more natural! Yes, this is the life for me!" And then I saw the price of the groceries. I was quickly brought back to reality.
And that is the space between who I could be, and who I am. I love the idea of eating everything organic and fresh, but the prices can be insane. My family would have to eat a lot more rice and beans to make room for all that healthy stuff.
I went to another class tonight. An art class for little kids. Awesome. I want to be that mother, the one who realizes that the process is so much more important than the product. But I'm not her. I want to be though, and that gives me hope.
The space between who I am and who I want to be is sometimes so vast. How will I close the gap? I don't really know, but I'm glad I was a part of enrichment tonight. It gave me a lot to think about, and even more to work on. And aren't those times the best of all? The times when we leave wanting to be better than we came?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
nice post, holly. i want to be the more organic, less sugar person, too. that's why i started the keepingitrealcupboard.blogspot.com
i can't just replace my whole fridge and cupboard with good stuff so i am doing it a little at a time.
I hear you, Holly. I love the idea of biodegradable diapers, for example, but they just don't fit a student budget.
As for the art class, the fact that I even considered trying those projects is a step forward for me. I try to remind myself that a kid who's messy at the end of the day probably had a good time, but part of me still shudders at the idea of letting my toddler near paint.
Maybe we'll start with play dough . ..
I find myself in that quandry all the time. I've heard many tales about people feeling so much better once they switched to all organic grass fed beef etc..But seriously, the only way I'm going to afford that life is if I swear off meat completely or start raising my own livestock. Neither of those is going to happen!
I think the "stop and smell the roses and let your kids explore their creativity- no matter the mess" kind of mom is hiding in all of us, but I'm convinced it only manifests with women who have nannies and other women doing their laundry.
Finally- I think we're all doing a lot better than we know. It's all about the process of trying!
You are awesome!
I totally agree with you. I would love to buy everything organic, but it's just too expensive for my budget right now. I buy organic when it goes on sale, but for the most part I'm sticking with regular food from Ralphs and Vons.
Post a Comment