Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My kids advocate

I got a form from the school saying that my kids immunizations were incomplete...they both needed more shots.

I don't know what your kids are like, but my children fear shots and being eaten alive by sharks equally. It is ridiculous. However, I feel it is my duty to make sure more needle pokes are REALLY necessary.



So I went to work. I made a dozen or so phone calls...to doctor's offices, to the secretary at the school (i talked to her about 6 times). Then I did some much needed research on the internet. About an hour later and ...

BOOYA! No shots for my kids. They are up to date...of course.

There is a lesson here...always question the forms that come from school, insurance companies, utilities, doctor's and dentist's offices, etc. And be willing to fight to get things right. Be an advocate.

4 comments:

Danika said...

I got a similar notice from Brandon's school a few weeks ago and took it to my doctor (we already had an appt for something else). Brandon was up to date too and was thrilled he didn't have to have more shots.

Lisa said...

Good to know!!

Shannon said...

I had a similar conversation with the nurse at Reagan's school the Friday before school started (on Monday). I had been given wrong info about some immunizations not being necessary until 1st grade. Anyway, she was so nasty and told me my daughter wouldn't be allowed to come to school without all her immunizations (she even said they would have to pull her from class)- yada yada yada. I then informed her (in my less than nice voice) that I happened to know that we could opt out of all immunizations just by signing a form and then she WOULD be allowed in the school. Funny how after that she gave me a few extra days to schedule the stinking horrific shot appointment. Grrr.

Marc said...

And don't mess with Holly...