
Norah Snow was born June 30, 2010. She weighed 6 lbs 5 oz, and was 19 1/2 in long. She had a perfectly round head, a result of a shocking c-section.
These pics were taken the next day.



Initially, we thought she might look more like Samantha...but she is turning out to be another clone of Julie and Annie. :)
You can continue reading if interested in the birth story. If not, no big deal. I write so I won't forget.
I was desperate to have this baby early. At the time, I THOUGHT we were moving to Texas in August and my family reunion was the week before my due date. So I prayed, and I walked, and did everything I could to induce labor. On Saturday, June 26, my contractions started coming 2-3 minutes apart and they were painful. So we went to the hospital. After a few hours and still being only dilated to a 2, I was sent home, dejected and angry.
Fast forward to Monday. I was bleeding...that was weird for me. I never do that. EVER. So I called the doctor, but decided to stay put since Brian was on call that night, and I didn't want to be sent home again. The next morning I went for my normal OB appointment, and told them my story. I was now dilated to a 3, but my doctor kept telling me bleeding was normal. I kept thinking, "but it isn't normal for me."
Tuesday night I went for a walk. My contractions had been coming every 7 minutes all day long. They were painful, but not unbearable. Walking brought them every 3 minutes, and they hurt! After I got home, I took a shower and laid down on my bed. About 10 minutes later I felt a pop, stood up, and my water had obviously broken. It was about 11pm.
Then it became chaotic. We packed up the kids and drove to my brothers house. My contractions were coming so hard every 2 minutes, then faster. By the time we were at the hospital they were right on top of each other. I asked for an epidural the minute I walked in, but the dang doctor didn't show up for about 45 minutes (or so it seemed). They checked, and I was only at a 5. They put me on oxygen, and everyone was acting weird...secretive and slightly panicked. The nurse kept telling me to breathe slowly, but I felt like I was hyperventilating and could not get a breath. It was awful.
Finally the anesthesiologist came in (he looked about 16, seriously) and said he was going to give me a spinal as well as an epidural in case I needed a c-section. What?
Then the on call ob walks in and starts talking to us and Norah's low heartrate and how he was recommending a c-section. Any questions? I looked at Brian, the doctor looked at the monitor, and then he said "too late, we are going right now!" It was crazy. Brian was getting on scrubs and I was being wheeled out to the OR. I was there in 30 seconds , the drape was up, and they were going.
I was freaking out now because I didn't think I was numb. I kept saying "don't cut me! I'm not numb...I can feel it, I can feel it!" Then Brian said, "they are doing it", and I was apparently numb because I was not in pain. I did get a glimpse of my innerds on the outside of my body through the reflection of the OR light, so I quickly closed my eyes. Who needs that image?
Because they had also given me morphine, I couldn't stay awake. I vaguely remember the doctor saying they were done, and Brian bringing her over. Vaguely.
The whole thing was crazy. And while I was glad to have a healthy baby, I think it was unnecessary. Brian and I have both been angry about it. Most times I think I am fine, but then I get angry all over again. Norah's cord was not wrapped around her neck like they thought, and they weren't sure if I had placental abruption...I wasn't bleeding enough for a typical case. So no definitive, "Yes, you absolutely needed that c-section!" And that is what I wanted. What I needed to feel ok about it.
I ask a lot of "what ifs"...what if I hadn't gone for that walk? What if they had just let the epidural work for a few minutes? what if I had just said no, let's take a minute and calm down? what if I had insisted on calling my own doctor? What if, what if, what if?
But then I look at my sweet baby, and I am ok. She is perfect. Even though I am sure she would have been just as fine coming out vaginally, she is here and healthy. And at the end of the day, that is what matters.
The end. Whew! Did anyone actually read to the end of this? :)
17 comments:
Me.....I did! You know I always love a good birth story! Norah is beautiful....glad it all ended up okay. Can't wait to see her!
She's beautiful. We're so glad she's here and healthy and that the timing went well and you were able to make it to both family reunions.
She's adorable...and I did read the whole story. Stinks it didn't go the way you hoped/planned, but glad it all turned out ok. Good luck in Texas!!!
Congrats! I never even knew you had her (see what happens when you stop blogging?!?)! I'm always hesitant to ask, especially after my friend had a stillborn at 40 weeks...
I'm glad she's here and healthy and beautiful, even if it's not the birth story you would have wanted!
Sorry about the c-section. She is beautiful. We would love to come up and visit you in SLC before you leave or see you before a BYU game.
Congratulations, Sister Snow. I can't believe you have five now! I remember when you only had Samantha. But that is so very happy. I hope you enjoy Texas!
I can't imagine having to go through all that. There is just not enough time to make the decision and when the Drs are totally freaking out so you just do it. It just goes to show me that the Mommy is always right. When you know something is off it usually is. 5th baby and they weren't believing you? Not cool. Love you guys and I just think that Norah is Beautiful. Do you believe in arranged marriages because I think Luke would be lucky to get such a catch!
Congrats.
I read and I LOVED!! I had only heard your condensed version of the story and I still agree that it is awful hearing the whole thing... But that sweet Norah is SO worth it! The pics are adorable!!
i read to the end...she is gorgeous! congrats to you and brian and sorry things didn't work out the way you were hoping. love you!
Holy Cow!! I met you with only 3 kids and now you have 5!! And I haven't even met #4! Congrats! She is beautiful!! Crazy birth story...what a blessing everything is perfect now! Hopefully you are recovering quickly!! I am excited for you going to Texas. I know I have said it a million times we would love to see ya before you go, let me know if you have time, we'd love to have ya for dinner? Let me know!...good luck!!
Congrats on another beautiful baby and congrats about your upcoming move to Texas! I am sorry to hear about your chaotic birth story, but I know you are going to recover just great. You are probably teaching aerobics again already! I'm going to try for a VBAC - I'll let you know how it goes. Congrats again!!
Norah is a beautiful name. I'm glad she arrived healthy, even though it was a wild ride (and yes, I read the whole thing :).
I'm so happy she's healthy and in such a loving family. I loved the photos. Sooo cute. So, are you still going to Texas??
I totally made it to the end. I love birth stories, even though I already knew it. I was still captivated! She is precious and I am so excited for you!
congrats! what a doll!
congrats on texas too. also i think i have some friends in that area. let me check my address book.
Congradulations! Sorry, I'm new to blogger but I read a few of your posts and I loved you! Sorry, about the c-section! Ouch.... but Norah is adorable and looking well! She has an awesome mother.
Post a Comment