I have been feeling badly lately because of my lack of documenting our life.
So here I am. I need to write things before they disappear into the abyss of my brain, never to be recalled again. I thought that happened when you were older, but apparently not.
When we moved from Utah to Texas, the movers came to our little house the day (or maybe two days?) after Christmas of 2010. We had taken all the Christmas decorations down. And then we watched as a crew of men came and packed our little house completely up. It was incredible. And sad. And really fast and exciting...all at the same time.
Anyway, we drove away the next day. Our things would take about a week, they said. We were to expect them about the 3rd or 4th of January. Great.
I had arranged for all of our utilities to be turned on December 30. So we pull up to our house, and discover we have no running water! What?! So I try calling, and calling, and calling...but to no avail. The office is closed, and will not open until after the new year.
that is kind of a problem. :/
So after much frustration and getting nowhere, we ask some friends of ours here in Dallas if we can stay with them. They say yes, which saves us.
So...we have a fun New Years Eve, and are having a great New Years Day relaxing and watching football, when Brian gets a phone call. The movers have arrived! uh---today?
We pack up the car and drive to our house (about 40 minutes north) to meet the movers. Well, not really movers. More like one guy and his skinny 16 year old son!!!
Ok. Seriously, how many things are wrong with this situation? They came early, which normally would be great, but arriving on New Years Day??? And then, surprisingly, the main guy can't get anyone to come help him. Of course not. So he brings his son to help. His son. Did I mention he was scrawny?
We open the front door...and the house alarm goes off. The REALLY LOUD ALARM. REALLY LOUD. I immediately call the alarm company to get help. But they cannot help because the contract is in the old house owners name, not mine. And no matter how many times I try to explain how we just bought the house, it doesn't change the situation. I must turn the alarm off myself, with the code I do not have. Nice.
Meanwhile, man-mover and skinny son are moving stuff in as quickly as possible. That, as it turned out, was not really quickly at all. We have pounding headaches at this point...and hearing loss. I decide to call my realtor and tell him to call the sellers to see if they can give us the code...but just then the alarm goes off. I have no idea why.
As a side note, it does make me wonder about the value of a home alarm. That thing had been going off for at least an hour, and no emergency vehicles of any kind came to our home. No police. Nothing. hmmm...
We felt bad watching man-mover and skinny work alone, so Brian and I offered help, but it was refused. We could not help. Liability and all.
We watched them move. S.L.O.W.L.Y. Still no water.
When they were done, we went back to our friends' home, and stayed one more night.
The water was on the next day. The utility company did call and apologize. The reason our water had not been turned on was because the office was closed on December 30. Oh. Doesn't that seem like important information to share with someone when they ask to have it turned on ON the 30th?? It does to me. ;)
We arrived.
We live in Texas.
I sometimes cannot believe the life I am living.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
A scrawny son? I thought everything was bigger in Texas.
I'm glad things worked out in the end. The alarm alone would have driven me batty.
Holly! I love your stories. You never disappoint! ox
Post a Comment