I got a call at 7:35 this morning to teach an 8:10 step class. OK! Since I am still just substituting, I try to take every chance I can get to teach and get better. This was shortest notice for me. Needless to say, it was not the best class. Some parts were definitely better than others.
Anyway, this is why I need tough skin. People walk out. In the middle of class. Why not just yell out "YOU SUCK!"? I'm pretty sure I heard that this morning...
Afterward, a very nice guy came up and offered me some advice. He said the class is in my control, and my attitude rubs off on them. Come confident and ready to work, and they will do whatever I want. "We'd run around naked if you told us to."
Really?
I teach again tomorrow morning. This class I at least knew about in advance. I believe that in itself will make a difference for me. I'm going to be ready, confident in my abilities, and excited to teach. If that all doesn't work, I'll try having them run around naked. At the very least, they probably won't walk out like that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Holly, I think it's awesome that you're teaching aerobics, even if you don't feel it's the best class. Really, that's great -- good for you!! By-the-way, what gym are you teaching at?
Holly, I am so incredibly proud of you! 1ST, that is a very unsettling thing to be woken up and teaching within 30 min. If I could, I would go to your class every time to support you, but I think my current ability to balance in a step class would be harmful to me and the people around me. The guy was right, take charge, don't apologize for it, and honestly people that are leaving are probably just not coordinated enough for step. I always want to leave step classes because of that, but usually stick it out because I don't want to look like a quitter in front of the friend that I came with. Keep at it, you will be a pro soon!
I'm sure you are a great teacher. At the gym I go to, people leave in the middle of class, or show up in the middle, all of the time. I hope today goes better with your new attitude!
yzkueYOU ROCK!
Hah! that random beginning to my previous post is compliments of your word verification...not a swearing misnomer.
I always do that inadvertantly....:)
That's so impressive that you were able to teach a class with such short notice. I would totally be freaking out. I'm sure you're an awesome teacher. I would go to your class any day!
I'm with Lorie - I would have freaked out. You rock.
I don't know- most people I do not want to see naked- especially if they are running or doing opther varios types of exercising! just imagine a class full of naked people doing a yoga "down-dog" Not cute!
But- I do agree with the confidence thing. You are a terrific teacher, and you've got moves- I've seen 'em in action!! So strut your stuff and take charge! You're the best!
Post a Comment