Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What I learned today...

I learned that I am just as frugal as my husband, despite what my in-laws think. :)

My dryer broke today. The drum wouldn't turn...so I called Whirlpool and got a number for a service company. I made an appointment for next TUESDAY (hello! i'm pregnant and am limited in both the clothes and underwear department. I'll never make it to Tuesday!). Anyway, the lady proceeds to tell me that just to look at my dryer will cost $75, and then I will get an estimate of the cost to fix it.

That is A LOT of money to pay for something that is probably easy. So...three hours later, with a lot of assistance from the internet and youtube, my dryer is up and running again. Yippee!

I must admit, I feel pretty awesome today. Granted, Julie was definitely ignored for those 3 hours, but I saved myself a serious chunk of change and boosted my self-esteem in the process.

I would post a picture, but you can imagine what I still look like. I was doing laundry this morning so I WOULD have clean underwear and clothes for the day. No shower, no make-up, still in pajamas...who cares? I fixed my dryer! :)

11 comments:

Anne said...

way to go mrs. fix it. i am seriously impressed. we could have used you at our house a few months ago.

Lindsay said...

You're awesome! You're my hero not only for your frugality but also for the take charge attitude.

sarah said...

wow that is seriously impressive. i love that there are tutorials on youtube on how to fix your dryer.

Ali Snow said...

Way to go. I'm very impressed. What did people do before the internet?

Unknown said...

I bow...

Rachel said...

My dishwasher is making a strange noise, if you get some free time...

Kerri said...

Can I call you next time my dryer is on the fritz?

AWESOME JOB!!

Lorie said...

Way to go Holly! I'm so impressed. I don't even think the thought would occur to me to fix it on my own.

Jessica said...

Good for you! I love women who take charge. John is not very handy that way (I love him to death and he's great at other things!), so I usually do the handier stuff. However, I don't think I would attempt to fix my dryer! WOW!! I'm impressed. You really are the all around amazing talented woman that Doug Brown said you were... :)

CdA News Editor said...

It's a good thing I occasionally check friends' blogs. You never know what your wife might be saying about you!
So, this was not one of those sweet community dryers??? I miss those. SIKE!

Shannon said...

I love that you fixed your dryer! I thought my dryer died this past week but learned the hard way that it was "user error." I guess my dryer was more high-tech than I realized, and when you only put one article of very light weight clothing in it, it senses no need to turn on the heat very high. Hence, I thought the heat wasn't working. AFTER the whirlpool man came and told me it was working perfectly, and after my husband gave me the "are you serious. You had the whirlpool man come out for NO REASON" look, I realized that I don't mind learning these lessons while the dryer is still under the 2-year warranty. I would have felt sick if we'd had to pay for such a futile visit!