Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tough Decisions...

Proposition 8 is turning into an ugly battle. Opponents of it steal, rip, and destroy our signs. Their ads are EVERYWHERE! It is disheartening to hear words like tolerance and loving our neighbor, when we are being labeled bigots and other things.

The California Teacher's Association recently donated $1 million to the opposition. This is frustrating to me...here we are fighting so hard to keep this OUT of our schools, and this extremely powerful union gave money to help it walk through the front door. Ugh.

Here's the tough part. I got an email asking us to keep our kids out of school in protest to their donation on Monday, October 27. The school gets about $33 or so per kid per day...so if enough of us did it, we could make the schools lose the $1 million they gave. We are also supposed to call and tell the school why our child is absent that day.

This area is SO liberal, and the elementary school if full of people who oppose this proposition. Do I take my kids out in protest of something I feel so strongly about? Is this particular action worthwhile, or just damaging to my little kids?

I don't know what to do. Brian and I will talk more, and I will probably still not know what to do. I want the election to be over...but will any of this really end?

I don't think so.

UPDATE!

Thanks, Lorie, for making the decision for me. The Yes on 8 has asked us to keep our kids in school, and just continue the fight on election day. Sounds good.

Although, skipping school sure sounded fun as well. :)

7 comments:

Danika said...

My parents are also dealing with it there in CA. We are voting on the same Prop here in AZ but it's not quite as nasty here (probably because we have a fairly high % of LDS). I would also have mixed feelings about keeping my kids out of school. They wouldn't really understand WHY they had to miss school and it probably wouldn't change anything. I also want this election to be over. But unless/until they do something about the marriage amendment on the federal level, every state will have to go through this...and likely multiple times.

On a happier subject...be sure to check out my personal history post this upcoming Sunday! I'm doing my senior year at BYU - the year we were roommmates. You will be making a cameo!

Lindsay said...

I definitely don't envy you the position of living through this. I pray things will turn out right because I can imagine how quickly this will spread if it doesn't.

Lorie said...

That's a hard one, especially in South Pas, since it is pretty liberal. I don't know if this helps, but up here we got an email with this link (http://www.protectmarriage.com/article/yes-on-8-oppposes-any-parent-or-student-school-boycotts). It just says that protect marriage doesn't support this school boycott, but I know that doesn't mean that if it's important to you, you shouldn't do it. Good luck with deciding.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Something else to consider: It was the teacher union that made the donation, not the schools. Keeping kids home would withhold funds from your local school, not from the union that made the donation.

I'm looking forward to this being over, too. I'm optimistic that we will win on this issue, but our efforts and the debate as a whole can be emotionally exhausting.

Kerri said...

I get very annoyed when I read anything these days in the news about it. I really don't get why the Teacher's Union even had to step in on this one. DRIVES ME NUTS!!

Shannon said...

Holly - if you aren't seriously obligated to activities tomorrow afternoon, you guys should really consider coming to our rally from 12-2. We are expecting hundreds of people to come out. We live in a conservative area, and you would be so energized by the support you would feel all around you. I have only seen one No on 8 sign in our entire area...that includes me canvassing neighborhoods to drop off rally flyers.

Amanda Neilson said...

This whole thing stresses me out major and I don't even live in California! I start into panic mode every time I think about it. I really hope all goes well on election day.