Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The redistribution of wealth

Last week Brian rode his bike to the YMCA. He locked it up, like always. When he came out, the lock was cut and the bike was gone. In the middle of the day! I was upset, to say the least.

But it did provoke some interesting thoughts...

We worked hard to save our money to buy Brian's bike. We saved and saved, and when we had enough, we went to the store and bought it for him. Yea! What a great day that was. Our family enjoyed going on bike rides together.

At the same time, some unfortunate soul who did not work hard and save money, had no bike. It's not really sad...he chose NOT to work hard and save money. Or maybe he did, and just didn't use it to get a bike. Either way, he had no bike.

So this unfortunate soul spots Brian's nice bike and decides to take it...for free. I guess there is no real harm done. Our wealth just got redistributed. Right? Awesome.

Maybe we are on to something here. A new way, a BETTER way. I would just like to ask President Obama himself if I understand it all correctly.

10 comments:

Lyndsey said...

This really cracked me up!!! I was wondering if there was a lock that got cut or something but when I finally got the end I died. Today could be the beginning of 4 crazy years. My Mother in-law keeps talking about the 4 years Carter was in. . . No good.

Candice Carter said...

That was funny!! Too bad about Brian's bike.... better start saving!

Bethany said...

Sorry about Brian's bike.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

That is what is known as a bummer. :(

California Garners said...

Losing a bike is an emotional thing. I've had two stolen. But, though I don't support the Democrat Party's tendency toward big government social programs and spending, I think the coincidental timing of the inauguration has given more meaning to the theft than the theif had in mind.
A Funny take on the situation, but I'm sorry for your loss.

Jessica said...

Hilarious! Too bad about his bike though...:( That really stinks. I guess we better get ready for more of the redistribution...

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Dang - sorry about that one - but I LOVED your funny post! How is that sweet baby doing?

The Lind's said...

You kill me Holly! Funny I was thinking about this just before I read your post. You are too funny! Sorry about Brian's bike. That seriously stinks! How are you handling 4 now? I miss seeing you. Maybe we could meet up someday!

suzi said...

Change we can believe in? Ha ha, your post made me laugh.

Sarahp said...

haha--you nailed it! Both Jared and my bikes were stolen in S. Pas too. uncool.