Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The search for a house

Brian and I are in Texas this week finalizing job stuff and looking for a place to live. I have been anticipating this part of our lives for SO LONG, and it isn't quite how I imagined it would be.

First of all, it is much more stressful than fun. I always loved looking at open houses...but when you are considering buying it, it becomes less fun for some reason. Another explanation for the stress could be that we are trying to do it in 4 days. Maybe that is it...

Anyway!

Today we went to see a property that looked great from the pictures, but was awful when we drove up. Tons of work. But the best part was the backyard...uh, jungle. The house is vacant and has been for a while. The unused pool was now a pond, complete with turtles, frogs, and gigantic bugs. Gross. Further out, there was an old fountain. I took a closer look. As I got close, it looked like a stick in the water, with an inch or so sticking out of the water...I stepped closer, and the SNAKE swam away!! Wholey cow! I walked (well, truthfully, I ran) back inside, yelling back to Brian and the realtor that I would meet them back out front.

I hate snakes. Really hate them. My heart is pounding again just writing this story out! Yuck. So we moved on. Not the house for me.

By the way, you know that saying "everything's bigger in Texas"? I think it started with bugs. The grasshoppers, crickets, dragonflies, wasps, and spiders are all HUGE! Texas-sized critters. Do you think they sell travel-sized Raid? I really need some. :)

7 comments:

Anne said...

hope you find something great. the key is to work an exterminator into your budget. that's what we did when we lived in austin and i never had any real problems...and they will come kill whatever you may find. i think the fire ants are the worst problems. they make it hard to just enjoy being outside.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Most people I know who've lived in Texas loved it there, and I'm sometimes tempted to give it a try. The fire ants and giant bugs kinda make me hesitate, though.

Good luck with the house hunt!

Amanda Neilson said...

Holly,

Congrats on all the great news! Your baby is beautiful and Texas is great. You will like it a lot. You'll need to become Cowboys fans because their stadium is awesome. I'm sure the perfect house is just waiting for you so no worries!

Shannon said...

So, it's been four days...did you pick one? I'm beyond excited for you guys. Make sure you pick a house big enough to put an air mattress in the laundry/toy room, and we'll be sure to come visit! :) (Oh wait, that was prospect ave.) We miss you guys.

Lisa said...

AAHHHH!!! Snakes (especially water snakes) totally FREAK me out! I would have run away screaming. But I am extremely jealous that you are looking for a house, and am living vicariously through you and Kerri right now. Good luck and I'm sure you'll find something you love!

Janell said...

GoogleReader told me to read your blog.

Texas is an awesome place to be. (Austin moreso according to my where-I-live bias, but if Dallas is where you're going, so be it.)

The bugs can be controlled, so don't worry about those much. When I moved here a few years back I was concerned about the size of the roaches and the existence of scorpions. I've only seen the first in neglected environments and only heard of the latter in some apartment buildings. I once had fire ants invade my home after heavy rain (turns out I'm a bit allergic to them), but they were quickly defeated with a few applications of bug spray.

Dori said...

Holly congrats on your perfect baby!!! She's beautiful like the others:) please call me-you need help and I am RIGHT here! Emmaline & Brooklyn will be so excited to see your kids-I am too! Xoxoxo Dori