Thursday, February 24, 2011

Texas

We got invited over for dinner last Friday night with a few couples in our new ward. It was a nice evening, but these are not kindred spirits. :)

At one point, one of the men asked about where we had lived before. I told them about Utah and California. He asked, "Would you ever go back to California? Ugh!" Now, in this situation, both Brian and I tend to get defensive. Um, yeah, we WOULD go back to California...and we WOULD raise our kids there. We were doing exactly that two years ago.

I know he was trying to play up Texas and how great it is, but why the other state bashing? We loved (and hated) California, and we loved (and hated) Utah. I haven't lived here long enough to love Texas, but I am sure we will.

4 comments:

The Hunt House said...

People are funny. So funny. How are you guys????? We hope to bump into you guys again in this lifetime :)

California Garners said...

We had no love for LA before we moved here. The only time I saw it was from the freeway on family vacations - and since I knew I wouldn't be living at Disneyland, why would I want to live in that "urban sprawl"? With all the hang-ups the area has, I'm constantly reminded why people wanted to live here in the first place. When strawberry season starts in February and I don't realize when it ends because I've moved onto all the other fresh local produce offerings throughout the year, how could I not feel lucky living here. We moved here from Jersey City, NJ. Jogging with the stroller was dangerous, the playground was bleak, church was an anxiety-ridden chore (ever been bitten by a pitbull picking up YW for a temple trip?) Your friend has either never lived somewhere as great as S.Cal. or somewhere bad enough to make him realize that no matter the shortcomings, you can find a lot of things to like anywhere you live. (Yeah, we did like some things about NJ - friends, easy access to NYC, hiking rural areas outside of the urban zone...) I'm sure you'll find lots of things to love about Texas. Lucky you, you have family in CA, ID, and probably UT too so you can always visit and enjoy some of your favorite things! (Sorry for the super long comment - geographical location snobbery has always been a pet peve of mine.)

dodds said...

Grow where you are planted....or transplanted. There are so many wonderful experiences everywhere in the world. And great people can come from California...look at Brian!!!! love you more than words!

suzi said...

Amen to everything Jenn G. said. I dislike geographical snobbery as well. I have loved every place we have lived, even though there are things I dislike. I think that's why it makes it difficult to settle...there are just so many cool places I still want to try. I am a gypsy, what can I say? what are you guys up to this summer?