Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Day of Reflection

This week has been an emotional one.  We heard last week about a friend out here who had found a mass on her liver.  She was going in for surgery to remove it and see what was going on this Tuesday.

Tuesday night came, and we heard bad news.  She had liver cancer, stage 4.   It was a slow growing kind, so chemotherapy and radiation wouldn't be effective.  She was given approximately two years.  This woman has five children, four girls and a boy.  Her oldest is in high school, and her youngest is a 14 month old little girl.

I have thought so much about her, and what I would do if given such limited time on earth.  Then today, I hear the news that she suddenly passed away this morning.

My heart is broken for her and her family.  All those little kids.

I know that we will live again.  I know that Jesus Christ lives and that our very lives go on through his redeeming power.  However, this causes me to reflect on my own life.  Am I ready to go?  How much time do I spend on frivolous things that really don't matter at all?

Do my children know each night how much I love them?  Does Brian?  I've grown up knowing death is a part of life, but it is so hard anyway.  I have some changing to do.  We all do.  That is the purpose of our life....to change and become perfected in Christ.


3 comments:

Katie Allred said...

Holly. I've been thinking about you ever since I saw your post on facebook. I'm so sorry for you and for this family. What a sad time for them. I appreciate your testimony and the way you proclaim what you know. I feel very blessed to have such good friends all over, whom I love very much and hold in the highest regard and who also remind me what life is all about.

dodds said...

I am praying for this family. May they know the love of Christ. May they cling to the truth that our Heavenly Father can turn ALL things to HIS good, if we allow Him. I am teased because I tell my family and friends that I love them, often. In times like these, I am grateful that I do. I will be praying for this precious family. The Lord has specific plans for them. Cling to each other and cling to the Lord, Always!! HOLLY SNOW, I love you and am so grateful for our friendship and the great conversations we have, and how we support each other through our crazy lives.

Tisha said...

These kinds of stories, particularly when they touch us personally, are so life-altering. We had a similar thing happen here with some of our good friends almost 3 years ago. It really changed my perspective on mothering. I still think about it all the time, and wonder what my good friend is doing in heaven, and if she can see how much her children have grown and how well they are doing. The dad, also our good friend, recently remarried a great lady with two kids, and a recently deceased husband herself. They are doing very well, their story has strengthened my testimony of the love Heavenly Father has for us and his desire for us all to have joy, even after experiencing the most unbearable trials and hardships. Thanks for sharing this story, it's a reminder to me to focus on what is truly most important! Lots of Southern love headed your way :-)