Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What to do...

Samantha has been taking ballet from a variety of places since she was four years old. I usually see the recital, am very disappointed, and then try somewhere else. It is annoying.

Anyway, there is a new studio I am looking at, and people seem happy with it. The only problem is the same old one we always encounter...they practice for their dance productions on Sunday. The performance is always the reward of the hard work done in and out of classes. So I guess Samantha will be missing out on it AGAIN.

I will not be going into a pro-Utah speech here, but I will say this. Some things in life are so much easier when there are a lot of members of the church around.

11 comments:

Bethany said...

Amen. (And good luck.)

Lyndsey said...

Any way to talk to the teacher and have some kinda private lesson? It is so hard and annoying. No one seems to understand anymore. They just look at you like you are crazy or something

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Utah may have the Sunday thing down, but my aunt in West Jordan says people still schedule tons of things on Monday nights. Ever heard of FHE, folks?

My sympathies to Samantha. My brothers had the same problem with soccer finals on the Sabbath. One of their coaches stood up for them and got the game rescheduled, but it can be hard to find someone who respects others' values that much.

Shannon said...

Reagan is barely a year into dance and I had no idea this would even be an issue. Sometimes it is really hard to "do what is right, let the consequence follow" but we just have to. You're a great example Holly.

Rachel said...

Oh that is so hard. I don't know what you can do.

Just to put a little plug for Utah. Emily's ballet class is $27 a month, and recitals are on Saturday. Can you beat that? Could it be worth living in happy valley? We need you here!

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Well, all the more reason to get excited about coming to Utah right??? We can't wait:)

Amanda Neilson said...

That stinks! You should plan your own recital!

camillion said...

I hear you, sister! It's good to be back here for that very reason...
I COMMEND you for keeping the holy. That's crazy hard sometimes, and you are a great example to those around you.

Wallinskees said...

I totally agree with you. I grew up in Florida and danced. One year we were doing the nutcracker, and a few weeks before the performance they changed the rehearsals to Sundays. I dropped out, and was so sad. I feel bad for Samantha. That's really a hard one.

Unknown said...

We subscribe to a different philosophy with dance (especially ballet) on Sundays and sports on Sundays. May sound like a double standard, but Tay will have the option to choose (still her choice, if she prefers not to dance on Sunday, I won't make her.

With sports, you have weekly games, even if the champiosnip game falls on Sunday (often happens in TX) at least you have opportunities to play in games. You really only get one shot at a recital. This year we requested the Sat performance, (and got it) but if she does the nutcracker in Dec. she will have to perform once on Sun. And I am okay with it. I just think there is a difference.

Unknown said...

BTW do you know your plans yet? Is TX still in the running or should I just give up hope.