Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bipolar Disorder

***This is going to be an offensive post to those of you with bi-polar disorder. If you have it, don't continue reading. Thanks.

Brian does not have a job. So we continue to discuss where our lives will be next summer. I think we have narrowed it down to CA and UT (job permitting, of course).

The only problem is that I get so bipolar about both states. For instance,

  • I went to the store last week to buy polenta, and no one knew what it was (I was just asking where they had it stocked). C'mon Utah! Can we not make something that DOESN'T include cream of chicken soup?!! But then I went to a BYU game and it was so fun!! Now I am loving it, see?

  • We all miss the beach, Disneyland, Trader Joes like crazy, but then I think about trying to buy a home on a hill with a square foot backyard, and I am glad to be gone.

It is troubling, to be sure.

  • I was planning on coming down to visit this next weekend, and use our Disneyland passes once more before they expire...then I find that Gay Days is going to be occuring at Disneyland the very same weekend. So much for that.

We miss our friends. We miss you more than you know.


Go to the beach, soak in the sun, and go visit Disneyland.


And think of us.

10 comments:

elizabeth cullimore said...

Holly! I am having these same feelings only with Arizona instead of Utah. There are so many things I really miss about California. I haven't blogged in like 8 months but I'm considering taking it up again. I was curious how all the classes went at the YMCA after I left? Glad to see you guys are doing well! Miss you!

Eric & Gretchen said...

Holly,
I really want to go to Disneyland too. We could all drive down in my minivan. I am just sad I have to work the Thur/Fri of UEA.
It was fun to see you at the game.

The Waldrams said...

I am dying to go to Disneyland too, and I am only 2 hours away! I just don't know how it will go with a baby that needs naps, and likes to sleep in her crib over any other place. dang it!

California Garners said...

Polenta recipe from Sunset Mag.
I use regular cornmeal, but I'm not authentic.
Good luck.
NOTES: Look for Italian brands of polenta or cornmeal labeled "polenta"; avoid instant. Polenta's cooking time depends on your preference. In our tests, 20 minutes produced creamy polenta with tender, separate grains; after 40 minutes, the mixture was thicker, with softer, less distinct grains.

This recipe goes with Polenta Fries with Spicy Tomato Dipping Sauce

Yield
MAKES: About 4 cups; 4 servings

Ingredients
1 cup polenta (see notes)
About 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Preparation
1. In a 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to a low boil.

2. Stirring constantly, pour in polenta in a slow, thin stream, pausing occasionally to break up any lumps. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt.

3. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until polenta is thick and creamy to bite and pulls away slightly from sides of pan when stirred, 20 to 40 minutes (see notes); adjust heat as necessary to maintain a simmer. Stir in butter, if desired, and add more salt to taste.

Nutritional Information
Calories:250 (1.8% from fat)
Protein:6g
Fat:0.5g (sat 0.0)
Carbohydrate:54g
Fiber:7g
Sodium:290mg
Cholesterol:0.0mg
Sunset, NOVEMBER 2004

Shannon said...

Holly, enjoy the seasons of Utah (until about mid-February that is). I am so tired of it "cooling off" to 97 degrees here. I'm just pregnant and angry about the lack of variety! What I wouldn't give for a crisp fall day with a chance of real rain!!!

Lisa said...

We miss you, too!! Just remember, there are things to enjoy about both places...and things to drive you completely insane....but that will be the case with anywhere. I think it's just about striking the right balance. But I'm with Shannon, I can't wait for it to COOL OFF!

Nicole said...

Holly: we miss you too!!! it is not the same SP with out your sweet family.

suzi said...

My vote is for CA. Come back!

Gina said...

I can so relate! We feel the same way...

The Allred Family said...

Love it! It is so true. Glad to see that you guys are doing well. We are still smack in the middle of school and excited to head back out that way somewhere!