Friday, March 25, 2011

Dallas Arboretum

Our spring break happened two weeks ago...Brian was working, so we tried to entertain ourselves in our new city. Plus, I figured it was a good excuse to try and get used to our new life (Annie, insulin, glucose monitors, eating on a schedule, etc, etc)

So we went to the Dallas Arboretum. It was perfect timing, since the entire place was blooming with tulips and pansies. I was in heaven.







What is it about these little iron statues that make my kids crazy? Whenever one is spotted, all my children MUST climb on them. I think it is weird. ...and yet I feel compelled to take pictures all the same.


There was also a little place with fountains shooting water everywhere. It didn't take long for annie to get pretty wet. She and Landon are very similar that way. Julie, on the other hand, got a finger wet and then decided that was it.

Norah seriously melts my heart. I could look at this picture everyday for the rest of my life. I love it. She is a cutie, but she LOVES to bite...especially my collarbone. Ouch!! She laughs hysterically every time she bites me.

What a stinker.
Just a last thought...we are doing good. I am stuck in a place of not understanding the balance between the faith to heal Annie, and the need for weakness in our lives. I go to bed and can pretend life was like it was before, but then wake up and remember what it is now. I envy people who make cookies on an afternoon, or go out for ice cream on the weekend. (I can still do that stuff, I just have to know exactly how many carbs are in things, measure it all out, yadda yadda). I mourn for our life before...and feel overwhelmed by the looming holidays, which will probably change the most. what do I do for Easter?
I am certain I will never watch Steel Magnolias again. Ever. :)

7 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Last year, the easter bunny brought some small toys and a little candy instead of all candy. I also think there was a new movie too. You are so guys are so awesome. How is Norah? Is she doing ok?

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh - love the pics!! And yes, that Norah pic is completely ADORABLE!!! I really can't imagine what life is like for you now. I have friends who have to do this same thing and it seems so hard and stressful, so I'm so sorry!! I agree with Lyndsey with the small toys and a movie!! We have major food allergies in our primary and have to do similar things everytime we have a party! Miss you guys!!

Danika said...

I was reading a church book a few days ago and it had an interesting thought in it that I keep coming back to. It said that in the pre-mortal life when we were presented the plan, each of us VOLUNTEERED & CHOSE the trials we would face in this life (from like a list). And obviously we know that the trials we face are never more than we can handle. Pretty soon your "new" life will be the only life you can remember (kind of like before we had kids...we can't really remember that now).

As for easter, maybe it's time to start some new traditions. Maybe explain to your older kids that there won't be much candy (and why) so they're not disappointed. Toys or money are better anyway! :)

suzi said...

Hang in there Holly! I can't imagine, but I know you are handling everything like a champ. Your kids are all so adorable...love the picture of Norah.

California Garners said...

Love the arboretume pictures - the tulips (not common in S. Cal. I have noticed), the little statues with your kids, the fountains... Outings like that bouy the soul. Chris has always had a (stupid) saying, "The feet are the radiator of the soul." So when you get out and walk around it helps you vent. Maybe on a bad day you should try going barefoot on your outings. Is that why kids always take off their shoes at the park? Nathaniel never wears shoes; I think that's why he's the easiest going of the Garners.

Eric & Gretchen said...

I can't believe how grownup Samantha looks! Hang in there!

Nicole said...

Your kids look great. In the Eater section of target they have a bunch of little easter themed toys, books, or movies. I would also look into oriental trading co, they have a plethora of stuff. You are in our prayers!