We are adjusting to this new life. Annie still hates shots (of course), but something interesting happened today. She wants to do her own testing for her blood sugar (finger prick)...I just have to hold the thing there, and she pushes the button. No crying, just a little, "ow." I makes me smile and feel sad to see how quickly she is adjusting. Frankly, she's so young she'll never know any difference.
The biggest thing I have to do now is a TON of math. Quick calculations in my head of how many carbohydrates she is eating. Seriously, this is NOT my forte. I ain't no dummy, but I also didn't spend lots of time doing mental math. It is comical and humbling at the same time.
She now eats breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner...supposed to be another snack, but she usually goes to bed before I am allowed to give her more food. I have to allow 2 hours at least between each time she eats, and each meal adheres to a certain number of carbs.
These are the things I have learned so far:
- Heavenly Father knows us and loves us, and is so very mindful of our lives
- we learn so much of compassion for others through our own trials
- the Lord uses the people in our lives to feel His love for us
- we are stronger and can do more than we think we can
That's it.
Julie is feeling bad about the abundance of gifts Annie is receiving, and said, "I want to get diabetes, too!" I am trying to help her get through this. It is hard for us all.
Her reaction reminded me of the little girls in the book Madeleine, when after seeing all the toys and gifts Madeleine received after getting her appendix out, cried, "Boo-hoo! We want our appendix out, too!" Hee hee. :) I love that book.
6 comments:
AMEN!
Maybe something like myfitnesspal.com could be useful in carb counting. You can use a phone app and enter what she eats and it'll keep a running total of carbs etc for the day. It even allows you to scan commercial food bar codes and adjust the portion (say she eats 3/4 of a granola bar). Good way to keep a record with you and also have food log to look back on. There might be apps more specific to carbs than this one which is a general diet and exercise tracking thing.
Ha - I just read that book to Adri the other night and I thought the same thing - we always crave attention!! I am glad you guys are adjusting - it seems SO hard and a ton of work. Poor little thing with the shots, but wow, doing her own prick - I could never do that in H.S., my teacher had to do it for me - tell her she is awesome!!!
wow! you guys have been through so much with health stuff! I'm sooo sorry! what a nightmare! there's nothing I hate worse than dealing with sickness!
My cousin had childhood diabetes and I remember it being so rough in the beginning for everyone involved (and later on, we were just jealous of her because she got late night snacks :-) hope all return to full health soon!
Kids are amazingly resilient, and I love how brave Annie is. I'm so sorry to hear about the onslaught of health issues with your darling girls and my prayers are with you. Hang in there my friend!!!!
Wow! Holly I had no idea you guys were going through so much! You are in our prayers as are your beautiful baby girls. You're an awesome mom and you will handle this set of challenges like the champion mom you are!
Post a Comment