The way I grew up and the way I live now are very different. One of these ways is the inside temperature. I grew up in Idaho---it got COLD. However, every time I walked in my house, it was warm and cozy. I loved being inside my house.
10 years ago, I married a man from California, and his parents lived with the theory that if you are cold, put on a sweater. Fine. Obviously, Brian shares these same views.
When we moved down to South Pasadena, we never used heat. Ever. One time Brian came home from school to find me in my huge parka and gloves, and Samantha dressed the same. At that point, we got a space heater. It was awesome.
Now things have changed and we own 2 space heaters....but it is still far from the balmy house I lived in up north. I am just reflecting because we recently returned from a vacation in Idaho where it was freezing outside, and nice and warm inside...how ironic that today I sit in nice, sunny California and am freezing inside my apartment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh man I hated that about my apartment in South Pas- and soooo dang hot in the summertime! Yeah, growing up in Washington we had a wood stove and it was awesome! You would be so cold outside but then running around in shorts and a tee-shirt inside because it was so nice and warm- I miss that. it must be a thing with temperate climates- our house here is too cold inside also, we're too cheap to jack up the heat, but I'm always annoyed by it, I guess something you just have to get used too- where is my wood stove!
We are absolutely the same! We have not turned on our heater since we moved into that apartment over 2 years ago and are afraid to now because who knows what will crawl out of the vents. My mom's house in Idaho is very well insulated and so toasty. FIre place. Radiant heat. I wear short sleeves inside when it is below zero outside.
So funny! As you know, Erik has the same beliefs that Brian does, so we never turn on the heater or the air conditioner and I'm constantly bundled under a blanket or sweating to death during the summer. Looking forward to this July and August, but something tells me I'll have a little more say in the air temperature inside the apartment. However, my mom was exactly the same way when I was growing up. She hated turning up the heat and I grew up in Oregon, where it's a very damp cold that seeps through everything. I'd pull a beanbag chair in front of the fireplace and sit there under a blanket.
Post a Comment