Friday, July 18, 2008

Potty Training...ugh

I jumped in today. Julie is getting potty trained. I hate it. Period. I'd like to avoid it, but society dictates that we must have at least some portion of our lives not in diapers...:)


This is the kid I am training...

She got into my makeup a few weeks ago, and made herself "pretty." She is independent, stubborn, and feisty. This is not an easy task to be sure.

I have gotten advice many times about potty training, and it is always the same. You have to be completely unemotional about accidents. Let me translate: Don't get upset when you are cleaning up a puddle of pee for the 14th time that morning. Uh, ok. Me not being emotional is about as likely as a fish walking down the sidewalk. It would be a miracle.

First day is over though, and this is what I can say. Julie peed outside the toilet more than in it, but she is still alive and went to bed happy. Awesome. Now we move on the day 2. Wish us luck!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

when your done do you want to potty train Aubree?

The Lind's said...

You are doing better then me. I am just trying to avoid this whole thing w/ Lauren. Dang it...she will be 3 this week. What a bad mom! I am not that person who just calmly reacts to her having an accident on my bed! Not a pretty sight. Maybe that is why she is refusing at this point. I need some help is this area. Good luck with Julie! She does look very pretty with your makeup!!

mls3a said...

I would try potty training rewards. This worked great for our son. He loved pushing the button hearing he is a Big Boy and opening a door to find a chocolate surprise. He really became involved. He was peeing and pooping in his potty within a week. I know every child is different, but have a look and see if this would work for you. www.pottytrainingrewards.com

Lindsay said...

Good luck! I hate potty training. Emma was totally easy but the boys were a nightmare.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I am so not looking forward to that. Messes don't freak me out as much as they did pre-Joy, but I think I'll really struggle to stay calm when my munchkin starts making puddles on the carpet. Good luck.

The Waldrams said...

Good luck with that! We are still dealing with the constipation thing. Kamryn has been potty training for 6 months now!

Tisha said...

oh gosh, good luck! I'm totally putting it off- pee and me just don't go together- i'm dreading it! :) let me know how it goes! at least you have some kind of experience! maybe that doesn't make a difference? hope it's smooth! please post updates.