Thursday, April 30, 2009

Altercations

I got into an altercation with a woman at Costco.

I shouldn't have, but those who know me well really wonder why it doesn't happen MORE often....:)

Here's the story.

We were leaving the store, and Landon was doing his typical spin moves and Jedi fighting routine. (we have talked MANY times about walking straight forward, looking ahead...but he is only 5). Anyway, he lost his balance and fell into the side of a car. It made a loud noise.

Unfortunately, there was a woman in the car. She opened the door, and I had Landon apologize. Then, this lady starts yelling in broken english about me being a bad mother and not teaching my children. She called us liars and said Landon had kicked her car.

I should have walked away. Seriously.

I first tried explaining what had happened, then I maturely raised my voice a bit. Finally, after she hurled her last insult and closed the door, I went over, knocked on her window and said a few more insulting things back at her.

All in front of my children. Kids who were asking (a bit too excitedly) "Are you going to fight that lady? Why are you fighting?"

Maturity comes slower than I would like. I guess I should just be happy I didn't hit the lady. I wanted to.

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Costco is definitely not one of the things I miss about SoCal...not to mention the people in that particular Costco...!

Kerri said...

Just call it "Standing up for yourself" and then you don't have to feel guilty. You don't want to raise wimpy kids, right!

Lyndsey said...

Sounds similar to the time an old lady yelled at Tommy for taking 2 steps off the sidewalk to my friends car (which was in a parking spot right there). Called him an idiot and was saying some profanity under her breath. Then I started yelling at her. I think it went something like. . "Back off lady he is 3! Why do you think that you can yell at my son? He wasn't doing anything wrong. Go back to your nursing home!!!!" Not my finest moment but I will go with Kerri on this one and say that it was standing up for myself and my kid!!

Lyndsey said...

I think that this should be true confessions. Anyone else yelling at strangers for good reason?

California Garners said...

All I can say is that you didn't use the force. Landon didn't get in the fight - he's a good Jedi. (OK, most of my "fights" took place when we lived in Jersey City where the people were either too mean or not mentally "all there" to ever realize that picking on a toddler was a shameful thing to do. So when I went ballistic it didn't help them realize their error and it left me feeling wretched. The force is weak in Jersey City, NJ.)

Gina said...

Holly this is to funny! I loved it. However...I am dying to know the rest of the story. You left out the best parts! We want to know what those nasty things were that you said!! Since I am the world biggest wimp in these situations, I might need steal a few of your lines sometime. Ha ha

eliciakaye said...

Holly, you are the coolest! Thanks for sharing this story. Now I know that I am not the only person who gets easily offended by people who mess with my kids.

Sarahp said...

HILARIOUS! I just knowing the demographics of that Costco I'm pretty sure you could have laid her flat in a fist fight. So funny.

suzi said...

Thanks so much for this post. I laughed so hard, it made me cry. Ahhhh...

Anne said...

awesome---feisty is a good quality in my book.

Lorie said...

That totally made me laugh! I wish I could have been there to see the whole thing!

Nicole said...

I can't stand it when people parent my kids or when people get mad at my kids. It's a car get over it lady, if you are really that worried about it, it should leave the garage.

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

See, I am just too much of a wimp to yell back - I would just cry - totally pathetic I know:)

Unknown said...

awesome...wish I could have been there...for the "Rumble in South Pas" 09'

You are a great Mom!

Nobody messes with Holly's kids....

jordan said...

you would have totally won her in a fight.

Lisa said...

There is NOTHING wrong with standing up for your kid...now what did you say?!?! I'm dying to know!

Shannon said...

Your kids will love this memory! My mom chased down a car off the freeway until he finally parked at a Kinkos just to chew out the driver for driving like a maniac and almost running over a motor cyclist. She was so ticked off. It was amazing. We were in the car planning how we were all going to get in on the action. I think it was the Southern coming out it her. But to this day, it is one of our favorite memories.