Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Retired

I managed apartments for 8 1/2 years. I was in charge of 51 units for 8 1/2 years!!! It was a huge blessing in our life, and I am grateful to have had it.

But I am even MORE grateful to be done with it!!! Yahoo!
The farther removed I am from it, the more I can really see the humor in a myriad of situations. I want to remember these. Here are the best:

  1. having a tenant come over, tell me his toilet is clogged, and then ask to borrow MY plunger. Uh, no thanks.


  2. a tenant (and friend) finds some unruly tenants doing private, intimate things in the public laundry room


  3. a tenant calls to tell me her toilet has been overflowing since she LEFT FOR WORK!!! She was nice enough to call only 1 1/2 hours later...it was a mess.


  4. the owners of the buildings sat down with me for a meeting when I was pregnant with Landon, and puffed smoke into my face for about 45 minutes


  5. finding a homeless man living under the building


  6. having trouble with pests...the pest control trapped and caught 3 skunks, 2 oppossums, and 1 raccoon in two weeks


  7. one tenant was chronically locking himself out of his apartment (and he always came home sometime between 11pm-3am) Those are awesome hours.


  8. a tenant (who was angry) called at 6am screaming and swearing about a car blocking his carport


  9. having sewage spraying all over the laundry room for about 4 hours at night, and trying to find an emergency contact (all while my parents were visiting)


And the BEST?


  1. cleaning up all the sewage that had sprayed all over the laundry room and carport while I was 8 weeks pregnant and quite sick. It was disgusting.

There are so many more stories, but I will bore you no more. Suffice it to say, I am glad to be done. All I manage now is my own family, and it is much easier. :)

11 comments:

Danika said...

After my 3 year stint at the Brittany Apartments working part-time as an assistant manager, I would never want to do it in the "real world"! BYU student drama was plenty for me, thank you!

Tanner said...

Holly, I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

Bethany said...

Oops. I was using Tanner's account.

Jessica said...

Yea for early retirement! :o)

Jessica said...

You were a great manager by the way! :)

Julie Thurgood Summerhays said...

Oh Holly - the sewage issue is SO gross - so sorry you had to do all that, but you are such a good person for doing it SO long - yea for being done!!!

Unknown said...

Um...yea...we are still so sorry the Fullers caught us that one time in the Laundry room "making out"...so embarrassing! ;)

*Marc wishes*

Happy retirement...tell Brian you deserve a trip to the spa at least once a year for the next 8 1/2.

Lisa said...

I don't think I'll ever forget your sewage moment, so I'm sure you won't! And I must know who caught the unruly tenants in the laundry room!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Sigh - we miss you, Holly. The new manager is fine, but things just aren't the same without you. Happy for you, though. :)

Rachel said...

What about me, when I was stuck in my apartment because the door wouldn't open, so strange...still don't know why that was. Awesome times, awesome times.

Sarahp said...

You so earned your stay at that place. You kind of have to know South Pas to understand how the buildings could have so many problems like that, and yet be in such a cute little area. I hope you're relishing your freedom.